As you reach home after a long day, tired and exhausted, you see him standing right at the doorstep. Wagging that huge tail, he is now jumping and barking loud at you. You are overwhelmed to know that someone is waiting for you to come back home at the end of the day. He runs and leaps on you, as if trying to ask you how was your day. Smilingly, you throw up something on him, he runs to get it back for you. He keeps on jumping and running around you, unless you settle down. He also makes himself comfortable on the floor, just beside your armchair. Both of you watch television together. You look at him- he is huge and strong. Your friend, confidante and your family, he has been there at your best and worst of times. You suddenly realize how much you love him, but he will grow old that is inevitable too. And someday the space besides the armchair will be empty.
People consider their pet to be a part of their family. They give them a particular name and space in their house. They take them for long walks and talk to them as if they understand those words. They play with them and sometimes cuddle with them. Obviously, they want them to be happy and so they do everything necessary to ensure the same. There are certain things you should take care of for the good health and long life of your pet.
- Proper diet: The most important thing that your pet needs apart from your love is a proper diet. Make sure that you are giving it a nutritious and balanced diet. This includes the right amount and right type of food at the right time. Carefully check the labels listed on the food product before you buy them for your pet.
- Good living conditions: It is your responsibility to make sure that your pet has a proper place to eat and relax. The conditions in which the animal is living can drastically affect its health. Make sure that it is getting sufficient space to eat, sleep and relieve.
- Regular exercise: Both mental and physical exercise is needed to keep your pet healthy. Take it for regular walks. Be certain that you are providing a variety of toys for it to play. You can also give this task to your children. Apart from physical exercise, it is also necessary that you regularly interact with your pet. Don't let them feel isolated and rejected.
- Personal grooming: Regular grooming is essential for your pet to look and smell good. Make them habituated to regular bathing and brush their hairs often to keep them clean. Different kinds of pet shampoo and hair brushes are available in the market for this purpose. Frequently cleaning their teeth and ears can prevent gum diseases and the risk of infection.
- Regular veterinary visits: Make sure that your pet is getting the best professional care. Get your pet vaccinated with all the allowed vaccines. Regular vet visits can ensure early detection of diseases and keep your pet in a good health.